Known as the largest public Evangelical Lutheran church in Scandinavia, Grundtvig's Church (Grundtvigskirken in Danish) was built as a national monument for N.F.S. Grundtvig (1783-1872), a Danish philosopher and social reformer. Building commenced in 1921, but main architect Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint died in 1930. He was succeeded by his son Kaare Klint and later his grandson Esben Klint, who completed the church in 1940. Its design is a combination between a cathedral and the style of old Danish country houses. The yellow brickwork church stands 50 metres high, which makes it a landmark that can be seen from afar.