The red-granite Parliament House designed by J.S. Sirén and completed in 1931, is a familiar landmark for visitors to Helsinki. When the old premises could no longer meet the need of the day, additional space was found on a patch of parkland next to the Parliament House, although separated from it by a road. An international competition was launched in 1998, and won by Helin & Co Architects. The annexe is divided into two distinct sections: a triangular, higher mass located by the roadside, and a low, curved wing. Between these sections lies a semicircular atrium the height of the entire building, bringing light into the heart of the exceptionally deep plan. The façade of the triangular section was originally intended to be glazed, but this had to be exchanged for burnt-clay brick for reasons of city scaping and security concerns. In contrast, the curved section has a glazed double façade, to emphasize the open nature of Nordic democracy and its links with the public.