Borgovico 33 takes its origin from the reconversion of the former church of the Santa Caterina Convent in Como. Built in 1634 on foundations dating from 1200, the church has had a varied history: in 1740 it became a diocesan seminary. Deconsecrated in 1800, it was then transformed into a military barracks to subsequently pass on to private hands becoming a cotton mill, a grocer’s warehouse and then becoming totally abandoned. Notwithstanding the neglect, one could detect the potential of the space. A preliminary cleaning revealed traces of frescoes which suggested a conservative intervention. The renovation project by Paolo Brambilla restored stature to a space where history and technology coexist together. The dream of a center for art reiterating the sacredness of the space became a reality. In 2002, the cultural association Borgovico 33 was founded to host contemporary events (text from website Borgovico 33).