Monument of Fosse Ardeatine
On 24 March 1944, German occupation forces took 335 people from prisons, houses, and off the street, and brought them to the peaceful Ardeatine Caves to the south of Rome, where the victims were massacred because 33 Nazi soldiers were killed by the resistance. The Germans then mined the cliffs to make the caves collapse. After the liberation, the site was dug out and turned into a monument to the worst German atrocity of the Second World War in Rome. Today one of the most powerful national moments is erected on the location of the retaliatory massacre at the Pozzolana quarries along Via Ardeatina. It is a beautiful place that honours those who died in the caves. After World War II the bodies were re interred with honour, with their identities listed on the tombs. At the top of a hill is a small museum that recalls the War, German occupation, and privations throughout Italy after peace was declared.