Warehouse De Zwijger
This warehouse was originally built in 1934 and is an exponent of the ‘functional expressionism’. Two special elements of the concrete construction are the mushroom-columns and the large floors hanging over the ground floor. It was used as a cooling house for food. From 1960 onwards it deteriorated and was squatted and used as an underground practice space for several bands like Herman Brood and Loïs Lane. Many plans for re-use and re-development failed to start. In 2001 a bridge was built right through the building. Shortly afterward it became a National Monument and now the warehouse is a place for media and culture. It has a TV-studio, exposition-space, ateliers, conference rooms, offices, several stages for theatre, music, concerts and lectures. On the ground floor is a public bar and restaurant.