The Zorgvlied reception pavilion stands next to the cemetery’s funeral hall which was built around 1930 in the curious hybrid style of that time: a mixture of Amsterdam School, Dudok and Functionalism. The abstract architecture of Claus en Kaan stands aloof from the expressive older building but because of the proximity a direct relationship has developed between the two buildings. The narrow space in-between is turned into an outdoor room. The pavilion’s ceiling projects into the space in the form of a canopy while its floor is on the same level as the gravel surface outside. As such, the outdoor space becomes a logical continuation of the interior and vice versa, with only a glass skin separating the two. This self-evidence is all of a piece with Claus en Kaan’s ambition to create an ‘invisible architecture’ here, with an atmosphere ‘so positive that you would like to live there, but where there is almost nothing to be seen’. (from website architects)
Mo - Fr: 08 - 16:45hr. Sat & Sun: 10:00 - 16:45. The cemetery is public. The pavilion itself is only visitable when there's a funeral going on. But the outside space is easy accessible. The cemetery park itself is a great place to visit too, with graves of many of well known 'Amsterdammers' and beautiful scenery and landscaping. Tel: (020) 540 4927
How to get there?
Bus 62: stop at RAI or Waalstraat
Tram 4: stop at RAI
Metro 50 en 51: stop at RAI
Tram 25: stop at Hunzestraat.