Vertigo was originally home to the Faculty of Chemistry at the Eindhoven University of Technology. Nowadays it houses the Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning. The original structure was built in 1956 but was in drastic need of updating when the faculty of architecture moved in. Renovation began in 1999 and was completed in 2002. Many of the former laboratories were converted into studios, making use of the high ceilings (5m). The architects also designed some specific furniture elements, such as the information desk and the lunch café on the first floor. The use of black and green was applied correspondingly to furniture elsewhere in the building. However, the de-materialisation through the use of colour as with the fixed furniture elements was used sparingly. Instead, the architects chose not to hide much of the coarsely sandblasted concrete and the installations (such as ventilation ducts), showing the building's original raw casco.