All circulation space of this central university building has been concentrated in one big hall on the "piano nobile" of the building. It constitutes the communal gathering place and living room for all staff and students in this part of the campus and gives access to the restaurant, the study centre and the laboratories. In the middle the hall has a large pond of 10 x 50 metres that collects the rainwater and is used as a cooling device for the building. This hall is actually outside. The facade of the building is clad with undulating sprayed concrete of pigmented red earth color. The Minnaert Building is part of the Faculties of Geosciences, Physiscs and Astronomy. Hence the ‘brown’ earthy colors on the outside, and the cave-like feeling that arouses in the central hall. Prof.dr. Marcel Gilles Jozef Minnaert (Brugge, 1893) was astronomic and chemo-physicist.