A work emblematic of the Modern Movement, it has been exhaustively studied and interpreted as well as having inspired the oeuvre of several generations of architects. It was designed as the German national pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona International Exhibition. Built from glass, travertine and different kinds of marble, the Pavilion was conceived to accommodate the official reception presided over by King Alphonso XIII of Spain along with the German authorities. After the closure of the Exhibition, the Pavilion was disassembled in 1930. As time went by, it became a key point of reference not only in Mies van der Rohe's own career but also in twentieth-century architecture as a whole. Given the significance and reputation of the Pavilion, in 1980 thoughts turned towards its possible reconstruction. Work began in 1983 and the new building was opened on its original site in 1986.