The Umbracle (shade house) was part of the buildings designed for the Universal Exhibition and was build in 1883, being used through the exhibition as a pavilion. After the event the building recovered its original function, and it is one of the few structures that still prevail from the original exhibition. Many other buildings from important architects of the time disappeared after the exhibition was closed. This shade house is formed of bare brick fašades and wooden louvres to sift the light through the inside. The structure in the interior is sustained by slender iron columns, leaving a closed space that produces a suitable thermal and humidity conditions for the implantations of vegetal species from tropical origins.