Following catastrophic flooding in 1957, the river was diverted in the southern section of the city and the old riverbed, now dry, it created a 10 km long park crossing the city centre. It was here that it was decided to locate the new complex of the City of Arts and Sciences, on flat land on the right bank of the final stretch of what was once the River Turia. L’Umbracle is the entry port to the City of Arts and Sciences. It is shaped by a succession of 55 fixed arches and 54 floating arches of 18 meters high. On them grows climbing plants, which will provide shade along the whole landscaped walk and will give a feeling of a "Winter Garden". Planted with native species, palms, orange trees, rock roses, mastic trees, rosemary, bougainvillea, that change shape and colour with every season, create different ambiences over the course of the walk. Inside the structure is an outdoor art gallery, called the ‘Stroll of the Sculptures’ with nine sculptures from contemporary authors.