Woodland Chapel Skogskapellet
In the beginning of the 20th century Stockholm’s burial grounds had to be expanded, so an international architect competition was initiated in order to ensure the dignity, artistic quality and harmony of the buildings, vegetation and landscape of a new cemetery - Skogskyrkogården, the Woodland Cemeter south of Stockholm. A part of the Cemetery and the first chapel in the park, the Woodland Chapel, designed by E. G. Asplund, was completed in 1920. The wooden chapel with its white-washed walls and black roof is adorned by Carl Milles’ sculpture ”The Angel of Death”, iron gates designed by Asplund and an altar painting by artist Gunnar Torhamn. Erik Gunnar Asplund died in 1940. He rests beside the Chapel of Faith under a simple epitaph bearing the words ”His work lives”.