This bridge connects the tiny village of Schuders with the rest of the world. Prior to its construction, the village was often cut off in the winter. The design, by the Swiss engineer Robert Maillart, was one of 19 entries in a competition, which was won primarily on price. The erection of the falsework, upon which the bridge was to be mounted, began in 1929 and was completed by six men - one of whom survived a 30m fall. Concreting began early in 1930; the material was mixed on site and placed by hand. The bridge was completed and opened on the 18th of August that same year. It immediately drew world-wide recognition for its design. In the late 20th century, the structure was refurbished and recognized as a 'World Monument' by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The bridge is 133m long with the widest span at around 90m, and the road deck is 90m above the floor of the gorge below.