The Grade II Listed leisure centre is located at the heart of the
celebrated Golden Lane Housing Estate, and was originally designed by Chamberlin Powell and Bon in 1952. The 'L' shaped centre is wrapped around a quadrangle and is the conglomeration of two formerly separated buildings; the two storey swimming pool and badminton court and the single storey club rooms.
A key aim of the refurbishment was to provide a wide range of fitness options for residents and visitors, encouraging greater use of the leisure centre, generating greater income and modernising it to a standard that allows it to serve the community for years to come.
To achieve this, the design refurbishes the swimming pool, badminton court and changing rooms, inserts a new gym and dance studio and creates a new, fully accessible, reception area
and circulation routes.