Institute of Education
Viewed in isolation the IOE appears to be a classic example of a mid C20th megastructure, insensitively dropped into the city to dominate everything around it. Yet when seen in context, it seems to fit right in, matching the height and scale of its Bloomsbury neighbours. It was developed to replace a range of large terraced buildings partially destroyed by WWII bombing and forms part of an earlier development plan prepared by Sir Leslie Martin in 1959. The spine of the development reflects the C19th terraces opposite and forms a defensive barrier to the pedestrian areas on its west side. Its progress along Bedford Way is punctuated by 5 service towers with corresponding cantilevered lecture room volumes. These towers mark the points at which wings, terminating with distinctive cascading escape stairs, were to spring off the spine and terrace down into a large pedestrian precinct at the rear. However only one of these was built.