Michelin House was designed by Francois Espinasse, an employee of the Michelin Tyre Company, who had no formal training as an architect. Its flamboyant style, although reminiscent of Art Nouveau, predates that movement by a decade. It was also the first building in London to use reinforced concrete in its construction. It served as the HQ of Michelin in the UK. The building was extended in 1912 and again in 1922. It was listed in 1969 and continually occupied by Michelin until they moved out in 1985. That same year it was purchased by Sir Terrance Conran and the publisher Paul Hamlyn. The first floor, adjacent to Fulham Road, was turned into the BIbendum restaurant. Most of the original features, mosaics, stained glass windows, light fittings and so on were restored, reinstated and preserved. Along Sloane Street, the building was refurbished and extended in a contemporary fashion: Ground and basement floors becoming the Conran Shop with offices over.
The Conran Shop and Bibendum Restaurant are open to the public. The Conran Shop can be entered from either Sloane Street or off the Fulham Road, through the cafe, where some of the original features can be seen.
How to get there?
The nearest tube station is South Kensington (Fare Zone 1) (Circle, District and Piccadilly Lines).
At the top of the steps in the station turn left. Leave the station and then turn immediately left into Pelham Street and walk down to the Fulham/Brompton Roads. The project is on the opposite side of the road.