New Heart for Bow Project at St. Paul's Old Ford
St. Paul's in Bow, East London, was built in 1878. The Victorian church was in a bad state and closed in 1991 due to safety reasons. In 1998 the church was rehabilitated. As 'New Heart for Bow' it comprises new facilities for worship and a community centre which serves the whole local community. The building within a building concept is internally conceived as a tulipwood-clad Ark on legs. There are two internal floors and a mezzanine level with full disabled access. The top floor houses a gym, the first floor a flexible community space currently used as a study support centre for schoolchildren, and the ground floor offers space for worship, a café, a flexible meeting hall and ancillary rooms. Windows in the Ark provide selected views internally as well as to the surroundings.