The Salvation Army was founded by William Booth in 1878 in the East End of London and has been based in the city ever since. At the turn of the millennium, the Army's old headquarters, located on this same site, had become too big for them. Realizing that they only needed a third of the space, they decided to redevelop. Rentable office space was constructed on two thirds of the site, which paid for a new headquarters on the remainder and most prominent portion of the plot. The top three floors are given to administrative functions, whilst the lower three are for the public. A chapel is located immediately above the entrance. Glass is used extensively, in order to provide transparency and a feeling of openness. Through the glass one can see the raked concrete legs that support the upper floors - a little dramatic touch that helps to lift the building.
How to get there?
The nearest tube stations are Blackfriars or Mansion House (District and Circle lines) or St Paul's (Central Line). The actual entrance is on Peter's Hill which leads from St Paul's Cathedral to the Millennium Bridge.