Maidstone Museum & Bentlif Art Gallery has re-opened, following an extensive £3 million refurbishment and the addition of a new east wing by Hugh Broughton Architects. Clad with 'gold' shingles which hint at the museum's collection of 'treasures' on display inside, the new East Wing provides the museum with a reinvigorated look making it the cultural focus for the town centre. Hugh Broughton Architects' 2006 RIBA competition-winning architectural scheme transforms the museum's display, storage and visitor facilities, allowing more of the collection to be accessed. Since its opening in 1858, Maidstone Museum has been subject to numerous expansions, resulting in an eclectic architectural arrangement. The design responds to the multi-layered history and architecture of the museum and it's Grade II listed Tudor core. The elevation of the East Wing combines frameless glazing with a diagrid of copper alloy shingles, creating a contemporary counterpoise to the existing brick facades.