The Rose Center for Earth and Space
|location||New York, New York|
The Rose Center for Earth and Space is a notable part of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The Center's complete name is The Frederick Phineas and Sandra Priest Rose Center for Earth and Space. The main entrance is located on the northern side of the museum on 81st Street near Central Park West. The Rose Center was designed by James Stewart Polshek and Todd H. Schliemann, Polshek Partnership Architects, and the exhibition design is by Ralph Appelbaum Associates. The center is an extensive reworking of the old Hayden Planetarium, which dated back to 1935. An entirely new building opened to the public on February 19, 2000, featuring a seven-storey tall glass cube that encloses the 87-foot-diameter Hayden Sphere. The top half of the Sphere houses the Space Theater, one of the world's pre-eminent planetariums, which incorporates high-resolution fulldome video to create 'space shows' (text from Wikipedia).